By Molly Patrick
Apr 6, 2019,
One of the many benefits of switching to a whole food plant based diet is finding joy in eating.
Our bodies are designed to EAT. We need to eat, we want to eat. Yet many people experience guilt and shame around eating, or they feel deprived and cut off from food. Especially when it comes to comfort food like cheese. This is exactly why there’s a plant based cheddar sauce recipe below for you.
First of all, there is no wrong or right way to eat. There are no bad foods or good foods. And for the love of hummus, let’s never use the word compliant unless your career is in the field of quality control.
There are foods that help the body thrive, and there are foods that do not. Science and real life has shown that whole plant foods help the body thrive and animal based foods and processed foods do not.
There’s a lot of people who are afraid of carbs and lectins and soy and protein and calcium and anti-nutrients and enzyme prohibitors and what the fuck is nutritional yeast?
But let’s take a deep breath. There are also people who think the earth is flat.
And, we’re breathing.
When you start eating more plants and less of everything else, the body starts to wake up. You start feeling energized. More clear headed. More focused. Less achy. Less lethargic. Guys will notice their dude parts working better. Ladies will notice less period cramps and PMS each month. Cholesterol and blood pressure start to lower. Blood sugar starts to regulate better. All of these changes are the body bringing itself back into balance.
There is no better feeling than loving the food you eat and having it love you right back.
And when you eat food that is super tasty AND helps your body thrive, that’s exactly what happens. Your relationship with food and eating comes full circle and like any healthy relationship, both parties are actively involved in creating a beautiful and lasting bond.
There is no more deprivation (because if you’re hungry, just eat!), there is no more shame and guilt (because when you make this switch, you start to develop and nurture love and compassion for yourself), you start to feel empowered, and you find unexpected, unadulterated, raw JOY in eating. And in return, your health is supported and sustained.
Our bodies are designed to eat.
We need to eat.
We want to eat.
So my dear, are you ready to unapologetically give yourself a free pass to experience JOY in eating?
No more overcomplicating it.
No more waiting until next month.
No more feeling guilty about eating potatoes or plant based cheddar cheese for that matter.
No more being afraid of tofu.
No more depriving your body of the fuel it was designed for.
No more stressing over carbs, fat, and protein.
No more beating yourself up for not doing it “right.”
No more setting perfect as your goal.
No more categorizing food into good and bad.
Eat whole plant foods when you’re hungry and stop before you feel stuffed.
Put that jam on repeat and let your body move to THAT groove.
We only get to be in our human skin for so long, and if your relationship with food and eating is anything less than healthy and joyful, it’s time to lovingly take note and try something new.
Now go make this plant based cheddar sauce below.
Do you have a healthy, joyful relationship with food or does it feel cold and one-sided? Talk to us in the comments below, I would love to hear from you.
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (25 g)
- 1/3 cup raw (shelled) sunflower seeds (50 g)
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (40 g)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon regular paprika (not smoked)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 1/2 cups water (590 ml)
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper (35 g)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut aminos
- To your blender, add the nutritional yeast, sunflower seeds, rolled oats, tapioca starch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, mustard powder, paprika and turmeric powder. Process until it becomes a fine powder, about 20 seconds.
- Add the water, red bell pepper and coconut aminos to the blender and process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Cook for 7 – 10 minutes, stirring often. It will slowly become thicker and thicker. As this happens, begin to stir constantly until it’s thick and gooey.
- Remove from heat, cool to room temperature, then promptly store in your fridge.
Wishing you a happy week. May it be filled with finding JOY in eating.
Fall in love with plant based cooking
Are you ready to live a Plant Fueled Life?
You may also enjoy...
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.