By Molly Patrick
Mar 25, 2014,
This week I’m going in a different direction and pulling a super white person move by giving you the ultimate blended soup recipe (white people love blended soup. It’s just a fact). Here’s an insanely good carrot ginger soup.
When you make this you’ll have to look twice at your surroundings to make sure that you aren’t at a super fancy pants restaurant where they charge $15 for a bowl of soup that’s the size of a jello shot (and you would kind of prefer the jello shot).
You know the restaurant, the one where $75 gets you one asparagus, one arugula stem and a streak of something across your plate. The one where some of the wines on the menu are more expensive than your car.
The type of place that’s exciting upon first arrival but mid way through dinner you start to long for your couch, a pair of sweatpants, anything with Tina Fey in it and a big bowl of cereal. Because, not only do you feel like you’re in a play, acting the part, but because you have no idea how to eat course number 15.
Your waiter’s name is Gregoire and he looks like he’s been holding in a fart throughout your entire dining experience.
You leave the restaurant and immediately go to the burrito place around the corner and devour two tacos because your $300 dinner left you starving. You proceed to go home, have cereal for dessert and watch back to back episodes of 30 Rock.
I suggest skipping all the fuss, making this soup recipe and swooning over it in the comfort of your cozy house.
- 1 large onion 225g, chopped
- 5 cups carrots 540g, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tablespoons peeled and grated ginger 30g
- 6 cups veggie broth or stock or water // 1.4 liters
- 3/4 cup coconut milk 175ml
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat for about a minute until it's warm.
- Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently so the onions don't stick to the bottom of the pan. If they start to stick, add a splash of water or broth.
- Add the carrots, garlic and ginger and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the coconut milk.
- Allow the soup to cool a bit and then in a blender or with an immersion blender, blend in batches until it's creamy and smooth (Place a kitchen towel on top of the blender and use caution when blending in case any hot soup jumps out).
- When soup is completely blended and back in the pot, add salt and pepper to taste.
Fall in love with plant based cooking
Leave a Comment
Are you ready to live a Plant Fueled Life?
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.
I’ll try this recipe this week! Last week I dug 1 1/2 5 gal. buckets of carrots before the snow fell.
I made this tonight after receiving what feels like a bushel of carrots in this week’s CSA. Loving this recipe. Easy and quick. I did four cups broth, 2 cups water. Added more ginger BC I love it. You need this soup! So yum.