By Molly Patrick
Sep 25, 2021,
My gut told me to reach out to Andrea Voon, an active member of the CFDG Community. She was able to reverse type 2 diabetes with diet by using our Meal Plans. I’m so glad I followed my instinct (works every time, I tell ya’!) so we can share her powerful story.
Andrea and I had a beautiful talk. It was one of those talks that felt more like chatting with a friend in a coffee shop than talking over Zoom with someone I had only recently met on the interwebs. Andrea has an amazing attitude and mindset, and you can’t help but be inspired by her. I thoroughly enjoyed our time together, and I hope you enjoy it too!
Not only did she reverse type 2 diabetes with diet, but she transformed her relationship with food.
Some of the things you will walk away with after watching this video:
- How to challenge the belief that you will never be able to feel your best.
- How Andrea was able to reverse type 2 diabetes with diet in just five months without medication.
- Ways to stay in the middle lane and not go into self-sabotage.
- How Andrea was able to get off antidepressants and antianxiety medications, increase her energy and motivation, and change her way of thinking to support her health and well-being.
- The power of our thoughts and how to call ourselves on our own BS.
- How to heal childhood trauma around food and weight.
- What to be aware of when going all in with plant based eating.
- How to easily navigate going out to eat when eating a plant based diet.
- Why it’s important to fail.
Here’s a quick note from Andrea about how a plant based diet changed her life:
My toxic relationship with food began at a young age and is why even today I hold a lot of shame and guilt when it comes to eating certain foods. I hid the junk food that I ate and my mum was a yo-yo dieter.
Then, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in March 2021 and I knew instantly that I could not go on a restricted carbohydrate-counting diabetes diet. My doctor wanted me to go on Metformin right away, but I asked for some time to research and see if diet and lifestyle changes would work. This is how I discovered Dr. Neal Barnard and his reversing diabetes diet.
Forty-eight hours after switching to a Whole Food Plant Based no oil, low fat, low GI diet I felt amazing. As corny as it sounds, this way of eating changed my life. Why don’t doctors recommend this way of eating? Why don’t people know that diabetes is reversible?
The Clean Food Dirty Girl community, resources, and Meal Plans makes it so easy for me to stay on track! My A1C is now 5.9, just within the “normal” range, and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are all excellent.
My relationship with food has been transformed, and I feel so empowered and in control of my life.
This video contains adult language. Please plan accordingly.
Closed captioning available.
Thank you for spending time with me, Andrea, I really had a nice time chatting with you. You are a beautiful human and I am honored to have you in our community. Andrea is one of the many people who were able to reverse type 2 diabetes with a plant based diet. We’re delighted that our Meal Plans have played a part of her journey.
- 3 cups jackfruit, drained and shredded (directions below) (2 14-oz cans / 480 g / see Notes for substitution idea)
- 1 cup red onion, chopped (130 g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced (about 3 cloves)
Dry Spice Mix
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (about 10 turns)
- ⅛ teaspoon mustard powder
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ¼ cup water (60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablesppon tahini
- ½ tablespoon coconut aminos
- ½ tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-2 drops liquid smoke (optional)
- Drain, rinse, and chop the jackfruit, including the core and seed portions. You will want to chop the harder core pieces more finely. Place the chopped jackfruit in a large mixing bowl and, using your clean hands, pull the pieces apart into shreds. Don’t worry about spending too much time on this, as the jackfruit will continue to shred as it cooks. Add the onion and garlic to the bowl.
- Add the Dry Spice Mix ingredients to a separate small bowl and stir. Transfer the spice mix to the bowl of jackfruit and stir well, working the spices into the jackfruit with your spoon or your clean hands. Set aside.
- Place the Wet Ingredients into a separate small bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside for now.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside for now.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the jackfruit to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often and breaking down the pieces into shreds as you stir. If the spices stick a bit to the bottom of the pan, that’s okay as you’ll be deglazing the pan shortly. If things are sticking a lot, add a little water.
- Add the Wet Ingredients and stir well, scraping up any stuck bits from the bottom of the skillet. Lower heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the jackfruit has absorbed much of the liquid.
- Remove from heat and take off lid. Using your spoon, break down any remaining large pieces of jackfruit into shreds. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spread out evenly. Bake for 12 minutes, stir and bake for an additional 12 minutes.
- We like to scoop the BBQ pulled jackfruit on a sprouted whole wheat hamburger bun and serve with a cookout-inspired side or two. You do you!
Wishing you a happy week. May it be filled with loving yourself and making room for the good stuff.