By Molly Patrick
Jan 27, 2018
Dirty Girl Amanda Dohrwardt has made an incredible change in her life trajectory. Like 180 degrees through a plant based diet. And when you watch our chat, you’ll have nothing but joy for her determination in the face of major life crises.
Amanda is on her Whole Food Plant Based journey, navigating her mid-20s after years of blood pressure medicine, steady weight gain and dealing with painful cystic acne. She relied on fast food to the point that she would visit multiple drive-thrus in a day.
Watch our heart-to-heart below and get ready to be inspired!
Just a reminder to pop your headphones on if you are in a place where others (like co-workers or kids) can hear your screen once you hit play because you know how I roll on the vernacular.
Amanda, I am so happy for you and I wish you all the health and happiness in the world, my dear. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Here’s an update from Amanda from earlier this week.
January 25th 2018
I’m doing great! Not a sign or symptom of MS in sight! I’m back into half marathon training and eating like a plant based piggy! My acne is still gone and over the holidays I surprised so many people I hadn’t seen in a while with my healthy, glowing look. Even my grandpa couldn’t believe his eyes and told me “Honey, you’ve got it going on!” I also saw my neurologist since we last talked and she literally couldn’t say anything bad about this way of eating because of all the positive things it’s done for me. She even told me to stay the course! Wahoo! She had previously told me that I needed animal protein. 🙂
Below: Amanda, 140 pounds (63 kilos) lighter and lightyears happier. It took her 4 years and LOTS of plants to reach this point.
Showing off her plant based boss status! I don’t know about you, but this collage makes me grin from ear to ear. Amanda, you are a pure badass.
To sign up for our Plant Fueled Meal Plans that Amanda follows, bounce over here. You can even download a free week to see if it’s a good fit for you and your family.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, chopped (65g)
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced (100g)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced (130g)
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and finely diced (135g)
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3/4 cup pineapple, chopped into 1/2″ cubes (280g)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and finely minced or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes (use 1/2 teaspoon if you like spicy)
- 2 cups COOKED brown rice (275g)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- Prep and measure out all your ingredients first because you will be putting them together rather quickly once you get started on the recipe.
- Heat a large wok or heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the cashews and roast for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until they begin to brown. Remove the cashews from the skillet and set aside to cool. After they are cool, chop them up and set aside until you serve your rice.
- Keep the skillet over medium heat and add the onion, red bell pepper, carrot and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables just begin to soften, but still have some crunch to them.
- Add the pineapple, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, coriander powder and dried red chili flakes and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring often, until the pineapple begins to lightly brown. Note: if you have a lot of moisture in your pan, you can turn the heat up to high briefly to help the pineapple brown up.
- Add the COOKED rice, soy sauce and coconut aminos and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes, turning the heat up to high for the last 30 seconds or so.
- Top your rice with the toasted cashews and dig in!
Wishing you a happy week. May it be filled with taking care of yourself by eating plants galore!