90: B12 and Beyond: Matt Tullman, Co-Founder of Complement, Shares His Moving Journey to Eating Plant Based
This episode is a tad sweary.
Buckle up since we’re going on a journey with the Co-Founder of Complement, Matt Tullman. Matt found himself on the other side of the looking glass when serious health problems hit close to home. First, his uncle was diagnosed with cancer and saw his tumors begin to shrink considerably in just six months after switching to a raw vegan diet. His uncle’s oncologist recommended he start chemotherapy for a “double-whammy” approach. Sadly, he went into a coma just days after starting chemo and died a few days later. After his uncle passed, Matt then supported his grandfather through end-of-life care.
Through these experiences, He found he’d begun to care deeply about wellness and longevity, so he got curious and read over 300 nutrition and diet books. It became clear that a whole food plant based diet was the way to go, and he went all in.
Then, a cardiologist diagnosed Matt with rheumatoid-like inflammation and told him he would have heart disease by 40. When the cardiologist said he should eat fish as a solution, he resolved to stand by his WFPB diet and determine if something else was happening. He felt nutrition was the missing piece, ultimately inspiring him to create a vegan/plant based supplement company.
We chat about the nutrients we should pay attention to, like B12, omega 3 (DHA/EPA), zinc, iodine, and vitamin K2.
We also chat about raising plant based/vegan kids and why having the mindset of abundance is vital to a lasting healthy lifestyle.
- Complement Essential is the product I take and believe in. We make a small commission off purchases.
- Making My Whole Food Plant Based Diet Gluten-Free
- 18 Tips for Parents of Picky Eaters
Clean Food Dirty Girl helps people eat more plants while celebrating human imperfection.
Subscribe to our podcast for plant based eating inspiration and permission to be perfectly imperfect. Share in awkward moments we all have and find strength and beauty in challenging times. Let’s expand our capacity to hold our dreams and goals. Please note: Molly doesn’t curse all the time, but this podcast is a tad sweary.
- Sign up for our free 10-day trial to Plant Fueled Life
- Join Plant Fueled Life to get instant access to the tools and accountability you need to start changing your life today.
- Subscribe to Molly’s Sweary Saturday Love Letters
- Join our thriving private Facebook group (you don’t have to be plant based or be a member of Plant Fueled Life).
- Follow us on Instagram for drool-worthy food pics and bouts of inspiration
- Check out our blog with loads of free whole food plant based recipes and inspiration
- Plants change lives – see health makeovers and more with our Plant Fueled Life members reviews.
Try Plant Fueled Life free for 10 days
Transform your food and life. No credit card or perfection required.