Inspiration for Older Diabetic Men to Switch to a Plant Based Diet + Plant Powered Meatloaf Rueben (oil free)
By Molly Patrick
May 12, 2018,
Today I’m sharing a chat that I had with one of our Dirty guys, Chris Hansen. If you know any older diabetic men who don’t currently eat plant based, especially if they have diabetes, this is an excellent post to share with them, if they are willing to watch it.
I adore Chris and am so happy he agreed to chat with me and share his story. You’ll love Chris, too. His journey is inspirational AND he offers up great batching tips and spills the beans on “Cowboy Caviar”.
Chris was almost 300 pounds and had an A1C of 11 before he decided to do something about it. He’s been getting our meal plans for almost a year and he is now 201 pounds and his A1C is down to 5.1!
Most guys are resistant to going plant based, but if they watch this video, I’m guessing they will be less resistant. If you have an older guy in your life, whether it’s your dad, your uncle, your hubby or your brother, have him watch this talk. Even if this video gets the seed planted, that’s a start!
Enjoy our chat!
(On the left: Chris before he started eating plant based. On the right: Chris, well on his plant based journey.
“On July 5th 2017 I got my kitchen ready for transitioning to a Whole Food Plant Based lifestyle. I downloaded my first Dirty Girl Meal plan on the night of the 6th and we shopped on the 7th and batched on the 8th.
At this time I weighed 247 lbs and my blood pressure was in the 130s/85s. Today I weighed 201 lbs and my blood pressure was 116 /79. My Cardiologist said she will take me off Carvedilol when my BP is consistently in the low 100s. That might be May or June of this year. If my next A1C is as good as my last, 5.1, I can eliminate it altogether by the end of the year.
Molly, I can’t tell you how much good you and your organization are doing for me and the rest of your Dirty Girls (and men) out there. Tomorrow the World.
Thank you so much,
Chris, thank you for taking the time to share your story. You are doing a fantastic job and I am beyond happy for you. Keep kicking ass!
Today’s recipe is dude approved.
- First you will need to make the Plant Based Meatloaf from the blog. The link is in the notes of this recipe.
- Next you will need to make the Thousand Island Dressing (recipe below).
- Avocado slices
- Sprouted grain or whole wheat bread, toasted
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked in water for at least 10 minutes (75g)
- 1 dried date, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes – pit taken out
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (20g)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water (175ml)
- 1/3 cup chopped pickles (90g)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion (20g)
- Few turns cracked black pepper
Thousand Island Dressing
- Drain and discard the water from the cashews and place the cashews, date (without the soaking water), tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, salt and water in the blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour the dressing into a mixing bowl and add the pickles, onion and black pepper. Stir until well combined and refrigerate.
- After you have your Plant Based Meatloaf and your Thousand Island Dressing made, the next step is to assemble the sandwich. Toast two pieces of bread (or don’t toast it, up to you!), then spread both pieces with a generous slather of Thousand Island Dressing.
- Add a slice of Meatloaf to one side of bread, followed by some sauerkraut. Drizzle dressing on top of the sauerkraut and then top with avocado. Top your sandwich with the other piece of bread and watch your man chow down!
Wishing you a happy weekend. May it be filled with healthy men in your life.
Fall in love with plant based cooking
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.