Dr. Elina Tomski Reverses Pre-Diabetes with a Whole Food Plant Based Diet + Broccoli Cabbage Stir Fry
By Molly Patrick
Feb 22, 2020,
Today I’m talking with Dr. Elina Tomski, MD, who has her own family medical practice in Florida.
She was pre-diabetic for 5 years, despite taking supplements, exercising, and watching her carb intake. Elina heard about the positive effects that eating a plant based diet has on diabetes and although she was skeptical, she decided to give it a try.
Much to her surprise and delight, after following a Whole Food Plant Based diet for 4 months she reverses her pre-diabetes and is no longer pre-diabetic, and she’s healthier than ever. Before you dive into our talk, here’s what Elina had to say:
My Hgb A1c was 5.9 despite being on a very restrictive low carb diet, exercising daily and taking multiple supplements for pre-diabetes. Diabetes runs in my family, and I didn’t think it was possible to reverse it.
After I found “How Not To Die” by Dr. Michael Greger, I totally changed my eating pattern. After 4 months of eating a whole food plant based diet (including complex carbs) and following the Clean Food Dirty Girl meal plans, my A1c is now 5.5 and I am no longer pre-diabetic.
I am soooo happy! I tell all my patients about this way of eating and the meal plans.
Elina Tomski, MD
Elina, I am so happy for you AND your patients! We should all be so lucky to have a doctor like you. Thank you for talking with me and for setting a fantastic example for your family and your community.
Check out our weekly whole food plant based Meal Plans here.
Are you pre-diabetic or have you managed to reverse your pre-diabetes? We would love to hear from you in the comments below!
- 1/4 cup water (60 ml)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (about 20 turns)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 1 cup / 150 g)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (65 g)
- 4 cups bite-sized broccoli florets (260 g)
- 3 cups sliced Napa cabbage (175 g)
- 1 cup frozen green peas (110 g)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water, soy sauce, coconut aminos, arrowroot powder, onion powder, black pepper, dried red chili flakes and ginger powder. Set aside for now.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently and adding a splash of water when they start to stick.
- Add the broccoli, cabbage, peas and garlic and saute for 10 – 12 minutes, until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- Whisk the liquid mixture that you set aside earlier, add it to the skillet and gently stir. Add the sesame seeds and cook for another minute, scraping up the bits of browned veggies from the bottom of the skillet with a spatula and incorporating them into the mixture.
Wishing you a happy week. May it be filled with healing your body with the food you eat.
Fall in love with plant based cooking
Are you ready to live a Plant Fueled Life?
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.