By Molly Patrick
Apr 15, 2014,
Before I wrote cookbooks, created whole food plant based recipes like this vegan one pot pasta, wellness programs, and even before I opened restaurants, I was a personal chef. I had a client once who was the single mom of a 7-year old girl. It was the first time that I cooked for them and I was just wrapping up in the kitchen when they came home from work and school.
The daughter walked into the house and stopped dead in her tracks. She started wiggling her nose, just like a cat does when a dog is near. She looked up at her mom and asked “What is that smell?” with a perplexed look on her face.
Her mom laughed and said, “That’s the smell of food cooking in our kitchen!”
It was fucking heartbreaking but it gave me happy chills at the same time. Heartbreaking because this little girl had NEVER had a home cooked meal in her 7 years and happy chills because she was going to have one that night.
I made this vegan one pot pasta recipe for you because people are buzzing around like cute little bumble bees, going from one thing to the next, sucking the pollen out of life without slowing down to enjoy the sanctity of the kitchen.
This recipe requires a small amount of effort, but 20 minutes is all you need (plus a few more minutes for chopping the veggies) for a home cooked meal that’ll leave your house smelling like Italy.
May you have a beautiful week ahead, filled with love, nourishment from this vegan one pot pasta dish and laughs so hard that there are actual tears.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 smallish onion 105g, diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups mushrooms 260g, chopped
- 2 green onions use white and green parts, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley 15g, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1g
- 1 teaspoon dried basil 1g
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder 4g
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups tomatoes 300g, diced
- 8 oz whole wheat spiral pasta 226g
- 2 cups low-sodium veggie broth 470ml
- 1 tablespoon canned coconut milk 15ml
- 2 cups chard 105g, chopped
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Here’s how to throw it together, with love
- Heat the water in a large pot and saute the onions and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, green onions, fresh parsley, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, tomatoes and stir.
- Add the pasta and the veggie broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently so that the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- After 20 minutes, most of the liquid should be absorbed and the pasta should be done. If there is still a lot of liquid and the pasta isn’t soft yet, cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add the coconut milk, chard, salt and pepper and stir until everything is combined.
You may also enjoy...
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.