By Team Dirty
Jun 16, 2023,
Nothing says afternoon pick-me-up like a fresh and fruity smoothie. Our vibrant and deliciously easy Cherry Lime Blast Smoothie features cherries, beets (trust us, it works), and lime juice with a hint of vanilla. It’s a sweet and slightly tart treat that will make your taste buds sing! Creamy, refreshing, and nutritious, you’ll want this one every day.
Frozen cherries: these sweet little gems are full of flavor and vitamins C, A, and K. They also pack in potassium, magnesium, and calcium as well as antioxidants, and the essential nutrient choline. What’s not to love? We use the frozen variety here because they’re already pitted, they’re available year-round, and they help keep your smoothie nice and frosty without the need for ice.
Unsweetened non-dairy milk: any variety will do, but we like soy or oat for this.
Beets: not many smoothies call for beets, but trust us on this one. They bring a lot to the table with their deep ruby color and nutritiousness (beets help support heart health, liver function, athletic performance, and brain health!), and their earthy flavor is subtle enough to take a backseat to the sweet, bright notes of the other ingredients. If you’re not a beet fan, we encourage you to try your smoothie with them, you may be surprised.
Raw shelled hemp seeds: raw means unsalted and unroasted. Hemp seeds help support hormone health, provide vitamins and nutrients, and they’re a great source of naturally occurring, unprocessed fat, which gives your Cherry Lime Blast Smoothie a nice and creamy texture.
Lime: in addition to fresh, slightly tart flavor, limes help brighten up the sweeter and deeper flavor notes of your smoothie. We use both the juice and the zest. Don’t skip this!
100% pure maple syrup: we love using maple syrup as a minimally processed source of sugar. It delivers concentrated sweetness as well as fiber, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory powers. Be sure that maple syrup is the only ingredient listed when you purchase.
Vanilla extract: we like to add a little bit of this to help round out and blend our flavors.
Turmeric powder: this unassuming spice has a subtle earthy, slightly spicy flavor and is an anti-inflammatory powerhouse. It’s worth adding for its health benefits alone, but its flavor also provides a nice counterbalance to the sweet and tart notes.
Black pepper: another surprising addition. Black pepper helps activate turmeric’s nutrition super powers and we use just enough of it to create some interest on your tongue without being overpowering or strong.
- 2½ cups frozen cherries (355 g | can sub fresh, pitted cherries, but you may need to add a handful of ice)
- 1⅓ cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (310 ml | any variety)
- 1 cup raw beets, peeled and diced (135 g | dice finely if you have a low-powered blender, use gloves to protect your fingers from staining)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (60 ml | zest your lime(s) before juicing)
- 2 tablespoons raw shelled hemp seeds (20 g)
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper (about 5 turns)
- lime zest (or lime slices | optional, used for garnish)
- Add all of the ingredients except for the lime zest to your blender. Blend at high speed until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into serving glasses and garnish with lime zest (or lime slices) if desired. If you prefer your smoothie thicker and/or colder, blend in some ice or additional frozen cherries.
Fall in love with plant based cooking
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.