Dirty Girl Lisa Cuts Her Meds in Half & Loses 30 Pounds + Instant Pot Apple Pie Steel Cut Oats
By Molly Patrick
Oct 7, 2017,
If you’re in our private Facebook group, you’ve seen Lisa around the block, cheering people on, sharing helpful info and welcoming newbies to the group. Talking with Lisa was like catching up with a good friend. I think we both forgot that I was recording the convo.
Lisa’s story is like a lot of stories I hear about from our community. She had been on every diet imaginable before she found us and became a Dirty.
She even tried to do the Atkins diet while she was vegetarian.
Live and learn, right?
I’ve had plenty of those moments. One summer, me, the 18-year-old lifelong vegetarian, went to Alaska to work in a salmon canning factory. It’s a long story, but my point is, live and learn!
Lisa eventually found her way with food and as a result, her lab numbers are now in the healthy range, her medications have been cut in half, she has lost 30 pounds, and most importantly, she feels energized, happy and full of life.
Watch Lisa and I chat about her journey with food and all of the wonderful surprises that came her way once she started eating better and not less.
We talk about how to deal with partners who aren’t on board with the plant train, the simple tweak that helped her easily release weight after trying every diet out there, and much more.
After you watch the video, be sure to scoop up today’s recipe for Apple Pie Steel Cut Oats! One of my new faves.
To sign up for our weekly meal plans (the same ones Lisa follows), sign up here for just $20 a month.
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats rinsed and drained (100g)
- 1 apple diced into 1/4 – 1/2 inch cubes (a bit more than a cup / 140g)
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice mix find this pre-made in the bulk spice section of your health food store
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water 355ml
- Rinse and drain your steel cut oats and add them to your Instant Pot, along with the rest of the ingredients (apple, apple pie spice mix, coconut sugar and water).
- Stir and lock the lid into place, making sure the nozzle is pointed in the sealing position.
- Use the manual setting and set the timer for 10 minutes. After the timer goes off, use the natural release method. When all the pressure is out of the Instant Pot, carefully take off the lid and stir.
- Top with some unsweetened non-dairy milk and chopped pecans. You can even toss on some shredded coconut for extra oomph.
Wishing you a happy week. May it be filled with working smart and not hard to reach your goals.
Fall in love with plant based cooking
Are you ready to live a Plant Fueled Life?
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.