We all get stuck. We all mess up. We all have painful truths that are hard to look at.
It doesn’t matter how many green juices we have a day. It doesn’t matter how often we do yoga. It doesn’t matter how plant based we eat.
All of these things help keep us balanced, strong and healthy, but they aren’t the golden ticket for never fucking up.
No one is perfect and we all have our stuff.
Maybe you’ve been binge eating.
Maybe you lied to someone you love.
Maybe you hide how much you really drink.
Maybe you did everything right, and you still feel like shit.
Maybe you’re stalking your ex.
Maybe you don’t eat as healthy as you tell people you do.
Maybe you’re depressed and unhappy and you do everything you can to hide it from your people.
Maybe you didn’t want to say yes.
Maybe you’re addicted to sugar.
Maybe you didn’t want to say no.
Maybe you’re a workaholic.
Maybe you did it for the wrong reasons.
Maybe your career is crumbling.
Maybe you were mean.
Maybe you want a divorce and you don’t dare let the words slip from your lips.
Maybe you’re gay and the thought of people finding out is enough to shit your pants.
Maybe you’re just shy of rock bottom.
We all have our shit. It doesn’t make you a bad person. It makes you human.
Whatever flavor of bullshit you’re dealing with, here’s what I want you to do.
The next time you feel a wave of emotion swelling up inside, don’t push it down. Don’t muzzle it. Don’t try to carry on with your day. Don’t run from it. Don’t wish it gone. Don’t reach for something to mask or dull it.
Instead, stop whatever you’re doing, find a quiet place where you can be alone, and allow it to come. Let it swell up inside of you until it has no choice but to move its way out through you and spill over into the universe.
It might be ugly and it might be painful. It might come with sobs of anger. It might come with screaming. It might come with getting in the fetal position and crying until you have no more tears to cry. It might come with sounds that don’t sound human.
This will not be easy and it won’t feel natural at first, but after your cathartic release, you’ll have a refreshing sense of calm, you’ll have clarity, you’ll have peace and you’ll feel solid and grounded.
You also might have your answer.
Swallowing our issues and gulping them down is easier than running into the arms of discomfort and facing the very things that we keep stashed away and hidden from the world and even ourselves.
But here’s the thing, my love. Sometimes the only way to have a breakthrough is to first, have a breakdown. So stop fighting. Stop pushing away. Stop resisting. Stop swallowing it. Stop pretending it’s not there.
Take the counter intuitive path and ease into your tension. Accept your pain. Feel your discomfort. Welcome your fear. Greet your anxiety. Salute your embarrassment. Embrace your disappointment. Own your sadness. Make love to your anger.
Breakdown and then Breakthrough.
You are love. You are peace. You are beauty. You are strength.
And you are going to be okay.
As a small token of my appreciation and love for you, I’m giving you this week’s Plant Fueled Meal Plan (usually for Dirty Girl Members only). Follow along and fuel your beautiful body with the best.
I have something else for you as well. If you don’t have a juicer but want to make green juice at home, today’s recipe will help you accomplish just that.
Juicer-less Green Juice
1 cup water (235ml)
2 apples, cored and cut into chunks
1/2 cucumber, cut into quarters (take off the peel if it feels waxy)
1 carrot, cut into quarters
1 small beet or part of a big beet, cut into quarters
1/2 of a lime, peeled
Big handful of leafy greens
1/4 cup parsley (8g)
1/4 cup mint (8g)
1 small piece of ginger, about half the size of your thumb
- Place the water into your blender.
- Wash and prep all of the ingredients and place them into a bowl (apple, cucumber, carrot, beet, leafy greens, parsley, mint and ginger).
- Place the ingredients into your blender, a small handful at a time and blend between handfuls (if you have a powerful blender, like a Vitamix or a Blendtec, you can add all of your ingredients at once). Blend until all of the ingredients are nice and blended. The mixture will be thick.
- Pour the mixture through a nut milk bag or paint strainer bag and squeeze all of the juice out of the bag (make sure you place a medium-sized bowl under the bag to catch the juice). Squeeze until the pulp is dry and there is no liquid left.
- Transfer the juice to a glass and drink with a straw. You can save the pulp in your freezer for crackers, baking or to thicken soups if you like. Or you can add it to your compost.
- This isn’t a science – you can play around with different combos and have fun with it!
Wishing you a happy week. May it be filled with a much needed breakthrough.