The Day Might Come When You Miss Craving Crappy Food + Oil Free Chili-Lime Baked Tofu
By Molly Patrick
Jan 23, 2018,
“Only one thing made him happy and now that it was gone everything made him happy.” ~Leonard Cohen
If you’re up for the challenge…
The day will come when you don’t reach for a cookie right after you eat dinner. When you drive past your usual drive-thru spot and you don’t even think to turn in. When you legitimately crave a salad and hummus instead of french fries.
The day will come when you go an entire month without thinking about cheese. When you choose fruit over ice cream because you honestly wanted fruit more than you wanted ice cream. When you can sit at a table with pastries and have zero motivation to reach for one, or three.
Oh yes, my dear, the day will come when you no longer crave, daydream or ache for the intoxicating shit food that used to consume you. And when this day arrives, something unexpected might happen.
You might search for that familiar desire, that wanting, that craving, to eat a cookie, to go to the drive-thru, to indulge in french fries, to eat all the cheese, to shovel ice cream in your mouth. And when that desire, that wanting, that craving is no longer there, you might, just might, feel a small wave of disappointment wash over you, followed by a light bulb exploding in your brain.
It’s not the crappy food that you miss. It’s not the craving of the crappy food that you miss. It’s the quick hit of feel good that you’ve always experienced after succumbing to the craving of crappy food.
You’ve had a lifetime of getting that happy rush from cookies and fast food. Turning to french fries to lift you up. Giving cheese the job of comforting you. Licking up ice cream to give you a pump of pleasure. And pastries to take away the pain. Like a drag off a smoke. A puff off the ol’ roach clip. A nip of whisky. A bump of white powder. A shot of heroin in your vein.
And when the desire is gone. When the wanting is over. When the cravings fade. When you no longer ache for crappy food because its charm doesn’t do it for you anymore, I want you to gently and lovingly remind yourself that when you stopped eating for pleasure, you started eating for JOY.
And joy doesn’t come in quick fixes. Joy comes from feeling content over a long period of time. Pleasure might feel more exciting, but it wears off fast and you’re left with an empty tank. Joy doesn’t always bring a rush, but it’s a deeply rooted sensation that stays with you even when you feel down.
When you reach the point of no longer eating for pleasure, remember this: you don’t need that quick hit of feel good, because you my love, are now free to bask in joy for the rest of your life.
“Only one thing made him happy and now that it was gone everything made him happy.”Leonard Cohen
- 1 package extra firm tofu, water packed (14oz / 397g)
- ¼ cup lime juice (60ml)
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 6 turns black pepper
- Take the tofu out of the package, rinse with water and then extract as much liquid out of the tofu as possible using your favorite method. One method is to place the block of tofu on a plate and set another plate on top of it, then place something heavy on top of that plate, like cans, a heavy book or more plates. Let set for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375° F (190°C).
- Remove the tofu from the plate and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 1-inch cubes and place into a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to the bowl and gently stir, using a flexible spatula to thoroughly coat the tofu.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and place the tofu in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the tofu cubes over and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until the tofu is golden and crispy on the edges.
Wishing you a happy week. May it be filled with shining light and love where cravings once were.
You may also enjoy...
If You’re Hanging On To Bad Habits Because You’re Terrified To Let Them Go, Hear This + Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats (Instant Pot)
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.