By Molly Patrick
Jun 5, 2021,
One of our badass Meal Plan subscribers, Joanie Sharp, took 2020 as an opportunity to get in her kitchen and learn how to cook plants. She changed her diet to plant based during the pandemic and her results are stunning! Joanie’s mindset and attitude are delightful; it’s no wonder she made this transition work for her!
Here’s what you will walk away with after watching today’s video:
- That you can take control of your health even if your genes aren’t perfect.
- How finding your why can keep you on the plant-based train.
- How to eat out without stress.
- How to utilize the CFDG classroom without batch cooking.
Here are some words from Joanie about how she made the change to plant based during the pandemic:
I grew up eating meat, dairy, etc. never thinking twice about the food I ate.
Unfortunately, I inherited really crappy genes from both my parents- high cholesterol, high triglycerides, both parents and many family members diabetic. My parents died from the effects of these issues- my mom of a stroke and my dad from heart disease.
My brother had the same high cholesterol, etc. that I did- and was not overweight.
I’ve been on a statin for many years as well as prescription fish oil pills, and had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my 3 children.
In 2019, my brother died suddenly of complications from a heart attack. That made me start to take a look at my future, and what lay ahead for me.
Although I can’t change my genes, I felt like I had to try to do something to mitigate my inherited issues. One of my doctors gave me some information about eating plant based, and eliminating animal products. I did some research, stumbled upon the Clean Food Dirty Girl community, and decided right before my birthday in February of 2020, that I was going to become plant based to try to have a say in my health.
So on my birthday (a month before the pandemic started), I began my journey. My daughter, who lives at home right now, was all in to join me on this journey. We both are 100% in and have never felt better!
I feel like I’m fueling my body with the best food I can, and combined with a serious commitment to exercising, I’m taking every step possible to ensure that I hopefully will have many more healthy years ahead of me!
I love this community and could not be more grateful for where it has led me, so thank you to Molly and this wonderful community!
Watch Joanie’s story of how a plant based diet changed her life
Closed captioning available.
It was such a pleasure talking with you, Joanie. You are an inspiring badass!
- 3 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 cups frozen strawberries (can sub frozen cherries) (240 g)
- 1½ cups banana, peeled and chopped into 1” chunks, then frozen (300 g)
- 1 golden beet, peeled and chopped (130 g)
- 3 tablespoons dried dates, pitted and chopped (35 g)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder (can sub cocoa powder) (15 g)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed (AKA flaxmeal) (6 g)
- 1 tablespoon raw, shelled hempseed (9 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place everything into your blender and blend until super creamy and smooth. Add a little more non-dairy milk for a thinner shake or more frozen strawberries for a thicker one.
- Pour into serving glasses and add a sprinkle of cacao powder on top if desired.
Wishing you a happy week. May it be filled with working with your genes, whatever you were dealt.