Larry Libbee Drastically Reduced Medications by Eating Plants (video) + Plant Based Tzatziki Sauce
By Molly Patrick
Mar 23, 2019,
In a word, Larry is a badass.
Imagine being able to drastically reduce the amount of medications you’ve been on for years by just making the switch to eating plants. Imagine getting down to the weight you were in high school, without dieting. Imagine looking forward to going to the doctor instead of dreading it.
Larry did all of these things. So, when he emailed us to share his gratitude for our meal plans, I knew I wanted chat with him about his process. I was so stoked he said yes. If you have any men in your life that are type 2 diabetic, this would be a fantastic talk to share with them, if they are up for it.
Here’s a note from Larry before we dive in to our talk:
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2005. Year after year, I gained weight and saw my A1C climb and new medications would be added to my growing list. In January 2018, my wife saw her primary care physician who is plant based. She urged her to watch Forks Over Knives and What the Health.
There also happened to be a Men’s Health talk on plant based nutrition in my town and my wife signed me up for it. My first impression was that I could only eat salads for the rest of my life. After that talk and watching FOK, I learned that there were other options and this just might work for me.
We had been planning our menus for the week and it got to be quite daunting trying to find recipes not knowing if we would like them or not. We ate a lot of veggie spaghetti and stir fry. The next month my wife came across Clean Food Dirty Girl.
She saw that a new meal plan came out each week and each week people were raving about how good the food was. We decided to take the plunge and subscribe to the meal plans. We had finally found the one thing that made this lifestyle easier to adopt, super tasty food and a weekly blueprint for exactly how to do it.
I had my first doctor’s appointment after beginning this new lifestyle and my A1C had dropped from 8.7 to 6.4. I was so happy and encouraged with these results. Over the next 9 months, I was able to stop 6 of the 8 medications I had been taking.
My doctor is hopeful that with continuing my plant based lifestyle, I will eventually be medication free. I am now under 200 pounds for the first time since high school. What a great feeling to get good news from your physician after years of not good news.
I’m so thankful for what this lifestyle and the Clean Food Dirty Girl meal plans have done for me and my family. Thank you!
Enjoy our chat!
Larry, thank you for talking with me and showing others that it is possible to drastically reduce medications by eating a plant based diet. I wish you continued health and happiness.
Now I want to hear from you! Have you or anyone you know gotten off from medications by switching to a plant based diet? Talk to me in the comments below!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes (130 g)
- 3/4 cup water (180 ml)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and left whole
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (zest lemon before juicing)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced cucumber (seeds removed / 120 g)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon finely-chopped green onion (white portion only / discard root end)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- After the cashews have soaked, pour the cashews and the soaking water into a fine mesh strainer and tap the strainer against the sink to extract as much excess water as possible.
- Transfer the cashews to your blender, along with the (new) water, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Blend until super creamy and smooth. Seriously. Blend the crap out of it until it’s super creamy, otherwise it will be grainy. Set aside for now.
- To a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the cucumber, dill, parsley, mint, green onion and lemon zest. Transfer the cashew mixture from your blender to the mixing bowl and stir.
- Add black pepper and salt to taste and stir again until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Store in a container in your fridge.
Wishing you a happy week. May it be filled with filling up on more plants and less medication.
You may also enjoy...
How to Prevent Diabetes and Get Off Diabetes Meds Without Counting Carbs + Plant Based Chocolate Cupcakes
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.