By Molly Patrick
Jan 22, 2014,
I’m not going to lie to you, this coconut lime quinoa breakfast bowl recipe is some straight up hippie shit.
It’s crunchy, it’s grainy, it’s nutty.
Let’s petition and see if Berkeley wants this dish as their mascot. Damn Berkeley hippies.
Despite the “granola” feel of this recipe, it’s undeniably tasty.
I recommend making this recipe in your (outside) kitchen barefoot, with no bra, sarong tied around your waist and a handkerchief looking top. Your hair should be a little messy with a slight hint of patchouli and preferably in a braid. Also, your legs should be hairy, so you should probably get a jump start on this part now (It’ll just taste better if you follow these steps. I have no proof of this, but I’m pretty sure I’m right).
For the Quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
For the Toasted Coconut
- 1 cup of coconut
The rest of your toppings
- Banana slices
- Chopped pecans
- Fresh almond milk
- 100% pure maple syrup
- Squeeze of lime
Make the Quinoa
- Place the water and the quinoa in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium / low and simmer for 20 minutes until the water has absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
Toast the Coconut
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium / low heat for several minutes.
- Add 1 cup of coconut in an even layer in the pan (you can use dried coconut flakes or shredded dried coconut).
- Cook on medium / low for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. When coconut is brown, transfer to a bowl. Add however much you would like to your breakfast bowl and store the rest for another time.
- Place a portion of quinoa in a bowl and top with toasted coconut, banana, pecans, almond milk, maple syrup and a squeeze of lime.
- Mix together and enjoy.
Fall in love with plant based cooking
Love the food that loves you back
Get instant access to thousands of plant based recipes and meal plans, no credit card or perfection required.