Let’s just talk about it already…
My mom told me once that a good partner is one that you can fart in front of and not be embarrassed. Luanne must be fucking awesome because I fart in front of her all the time.
Being extra farty is common when switching to a healthier diet. It’s just part of it. But know that it does not last forever and as your body adjusts to eating more whole plant foods and less processed foods, meat and dairy, your ass will stop making so much noise. Guaranteed.
Here’s why we fart more when we switch to a healthy diet.
1) When we replace meat, dairy and processed food with whole plant food, this jump starts a detox process and allows toxins to be eliminated. This process can make us bloated and gassy during the first week or so.
2) Whole plant foods have fiber, meat has no fiber. When we make the switch to plant proteins, we get more fiber by default. When our systems aren’t used to fiber, this can rowdy things up with our digestive system at first.
3) Beans. It’s a fact, plant based eaters love them some beans. They’re high in protein, low in fat and contain uber important phytochemicals that our bodies use to help repair damage and fight disease. If you’re not used to eating beans, your body will need time to adjust to their chemical makeup. Once you eat them on a regular basis, your body will adjust and they won’t make your ass sing songs.
The bottom (wink, wink) line is that you won’t always fart as much when eating whole plant foods.
Your body just needs time to adjust to this new way of eating.
In the meantime, there are several things that I recommend to ease your booty bombs.
1) Drink lots and lots and lots of water.
Your body is ridding itself of toxins so the more water you drink, the quicker the toxins will pass. Squeezing fresh lemon in your water will help help flush those kidneys and liver, making the detox process even faster.
2) Eat Papaya.
Papaya contains an enzyme that helps with digestion.
3) There’s a supplement called Beano that works wonders.
I’m not a fan of taking supplements, but if your farting is a serious embarrassment and you really need relief, buy some Beano and use it until your body adjusts.
4) Drink ginger tea a couple times a day.
Ginger is really good for digestion and will help break everything down.
5) Stay away from processed foods.
Whether it’s vegan or not, processed food is still not good for you and will contribute to gas.
6) If you are eating beans, (which I highly recommend if you are eating a plant based diet) use dried beans.
Soak them overnight and then cook them with a piece of kombu seaweed. This will make you MUCH less gassy than if you are eating canned beans, or making beans without Kombu.
7) Most people have a hard time digesting Gluten. One of the side effects of eating a lot of gluten is bloating and gas.
Try cutting it out of your diet for a week and see if it helps. Our bodies definitely don’t need gluten so if you find that you have less gas and are more comfortable without it, then good riddance!
8) Chew slowly. Our digestive system starts with our mouth.
The moment we put something in our mouth, our saliva gets to work, breaking down our food. The more you chew your food the less time your digestive system has to work on it, giving you less chance for gas.
9) Never drink water or any other liquid with your food.
When we chew our food, our bodies produce digestive enzymes that help break down our food so that we can easily digest it. When we drink anything (even water) when we eat, we dilute those enzymes, making it harder to digest our food. It’s best to wait 1 hour after you eat before you drink anything.
Do you have other tricks that you’ve tried?
Talk to me in the comments!