Because sometimes you just need a big plate of pasta covered in creamy Alfredo sauce. This one’s for you.
Creamy Vegan Alfredo Pasta with Mushrooms, Kale and Onions
1 cup raw cashews soaked in water for at least 10 minutes (130g)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups water (375ml)
1 tablespoon coconut milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
10 turns fresh black pepper
- Rinse and drain the cashews and place them in a blender, along with the garlic, water, coconut milk, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Blend for 1 minute on high. The sauce will seem really thin. No worries, it will thicken as it cooks in the following step.
- Place in a saucepan, turn the heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce becomes bubbly and starts to thicken.
- Turn off heat.
1 small red onion or half a large onion, thinly sliced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced (155g)
At least 3 cups kale, chopped (80g)
- Heat a skillet and sauté the onions for 5 minutes over medium heat. When they start to stick, add water 1 tablespoon at a time and stir. Only add as much water to get the onions to stop sticking.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the kale, stir and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Cook whatever type of whole wheat or whole grain pasta you like, or spiral cucumbers, carrots or zucchini, and add a generous amount of Alfredo Sauce and then top with veggies.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Are you grooving to my jam? Sign up here for my Saturday emails and free Plant-Based recipe ebook. Pucker up!