EVERYONE needs cake!
And that’s just the way it is.
Also, baking in a warm kitchen on a cold morning is pretty much the coziest thing since…….wait for it…….. the womb (I’m really pleased that I finally got to use my womb analogy, btw).
The classy thing about this cake is that it is not dry like a lot of cakes, à la vegan.
This is awesome because there is nothing like going in for a bite only to be disappointed with the brick-like texture that is now in your mouth as you reach for anything wet to wash it down with.
Super Moist Cinnamon Vanilla Coffee Cake
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup coconut milk (The kind in the can. Full fat works best)
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds, mixed with 3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 heaping tablespoon lemon zest
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Take 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread it evenly in a 9 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of flour and tap out the access.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar and salt and whisk together.
- Add the Earth Balance and cut into pieces with two knives until the pieces resemble frozen peas.
- Take out 1 cup of this mixture and set it aside.
- In the large mixing bowl with the flour, add the baking powder, baking soda, coconut milk, flax mixture, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Mix until the batter is combined thoroughly and then pour into the greased cake pan.
- Add the brown sugar and cinnamon to the reserved flour and stir with a fork until well blended.
- Spread the brown sugar crumbles evenly on top of the cake and put in the oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool before eating.
Are you grooving to my jam? Sign up here for my Saturday emails and free Whole Food Plant-Based recipe ebook. Pucker up!