You need mac and cheese now (or in 25 minutes after you make it) and can’t decide if you want pesto or cheese sauce.
You say screw it and make both. At once.
True Story (I also have fuzzy penguin pajamas, for the record).
Make this dish, it will make you happy.
Cheesy Baked Pesto Mac and Cheese
Cheesy Pesto Sauce
1 russet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/2 cup carrot, chopped
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 cups water plus 1 cup water, divided
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
10-15 turns freshly cracked pepper
1 box Quinoa Pasta (Pagodas pasta by Ancient Harvest works well in this recipe. Who else had to google Pagoda?)
1 cup walnuts
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. When they are done cooking, place them in a strainer and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Place the potato, carrot, onion and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a shallow pan.
- Turn heat to medium / low and cover the pan.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the veggies are soft.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 °.
- In a blender place the veggies, along with the walnuts, nutritional yeast, basil, garlic, olive oil, turmeric, sea salt and pepper.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Make the walnut parm by placing all of the walnut parm ingredients into a food processor and process until crumbly.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl and mix in the sauce.
- Transfer to an 8×8 inch baking dish, top with 1/4 cup walnut parm and bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
If you enjoyed this recipe, I have many more you will fall for.
Are you grooving to my jam? Sign up here for my Saturday emails and free Whole Food Plant-Based recipe ebook. Pucker up!