You are about to embark on a recipe that is not only totally kid tested and approved but something totally different to add to your vegan repertoire.
While it does take a little doing to make the vegan fish sticks (or “wish” sticks if you prefer), the tartar sauce is crazy easy and putting the sandwich together is a breeze.
Another cool thing is that you will likely have leftover wish sticks that you can have for lunch later in the week. Let’s get started!
Breaded vegan fish sticks (aka, wish sticks)
Tartar sauce brings it all together. Gives you a creamy tangy dipping sauce to compliment the crunchy and moist texture of the tofu.
WHAT YOU NEED
1 package firm or extra firm tofu (12oz.)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (use rice flour for a gluten free option)
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons dulse flakes
1 tablespoon sea salt
10 turns fresh black pepper
1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
1 cup high heat oil for frying
HOW TO DO IT
- Drain and rinse the tofu and set it in a colander to drain. To make it drain even better, place a plate on top of the tofu and set something heavy on it. Set aside for now.
- Make the breading by placing the cornmeal, flour, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, dulse flakes, sea salt and pepper into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk to combine ingredients and set aside.
- Take tofu out of colander and set it on a cutting board.
- Cut in in half and then into quarters (see pictures)
- Take each of the quarters and slice them into thin pieces. You should be able to get 7 or 8 slices out of one of the quarters (28 – 32 total).
- At this point you want to heat your oil in a large cast iron skillet on medium / low.
- Place the non-dairy milk in a small bowl.
- Take each piece of tofu and dip it in the non-dairy milk and then dredge it in the breading, making sure to coat the tofu well on all sides.
- Place on a large plate and repeat until all of the tofu is covered in batter.
- When the oil is hot and starting to splatter, add as much tofu as can fit in the skillet. You will likely have to do this in a couple batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown on one side.
- Flip over and cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side or until golden brown.
- Take the tofu out of the pan and place on a brown paper bag so that the oil gets soaked up by the bag.
- Repeat with the rest of the tofu until all of it has been fried.
- Allow to cool and serve it with tartar sauce (recipe below) or make it into a sandwich (see below).
Crispy on the outside with just the right amount of seasoning and moist on the inside
WHAT YOU NEED
1/2 cup vegan mayo
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
5 turns fresh black pepper
HOW TO DO IT
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
Bad Ass Vegan Fish Sandwich
Vegan fish sandwich in all its glory
ASSEMBLE (layer sandwich in the following order)
Bread (or bun, toasted or not)
Tartar sauce (generous helping)
Tomato slices (as many as you want)
Assemble and devour.
If you like what I’m throwin’ down, and want to pick up more, join my Saturday emails. “Healthy with a good dose of filth” is what the people are saying. I’ll hook you up with a free recipe ebook when you sign up. Can you feel the LOVE up in here?